If someone hits your car in a parking lot, they are still liable to fix it. The only difference is the police won’t issue a citation because you are on private property.
Here are some simple steps you can take if you are in a parking lot accident:
If YOU damage a car in a parking lot:
- Don't drive away from the scene of the accident, no matter how minor. If another customer or a surveillance camera spots you, you could be punished with hit-and-run charges.
- Track down the other car's owner. Head into the store and speak to someone at the customer service desk. Describe the car to the employee, and have him or her announce it over the store's loudspeaker.
- Leave a note. If you're unable to learn the other driver, jot down basic information — your name, phone number, and a brief explanation of the accident — and place it in a secure spot on the car. Write down the license plate number and take a photo of the damage if you have a camera or smartphone with you.
- Call the police. Depending on how extensively the car has been damaged, you may want to involve the police. They'll document the accident and they can help you find the other car's owner.
If YOUR CAR is damaged in a parking lot
- Contact your insurance agent or Pronto Body Shop for advice as soon as possible. We can help you determine the next steps.
- Record evidence. Take pictures of the damage with your phone or a camera, if you have one on hand.
- Take thorough notes. If the other driver is still around, jot down his or her name, address, phone number, driver's license number, and the insurance company. Gather as much information as possible. If the other driver is still around, see if they will call in the claim to their insurance company if possible and give you the claim number.
- Get back-up. Before leaving, ask others in the parking lot if they witnessed anything. Also, head back into the store and find out if they have security camera footage you can check.
Of course, contact Pronto Body Shop to have your car body repaired. We can also work with your insurance directly to make sure you get the coverage you need.